About DuPont Mansion
DuPont Mansion, circa 1879, is a rare decorative Italianate mansion with ornate carved Italian marble fireplaces, hardwood floors, plaster moldings, 14-foot ceilings, and 10-foot doors and windows. Antique and period furnishings, a banquet style dining room, crystal chandeliers and formal gardens add to the mansion’s ambiance.
In December 1999, Gayle and Herbert Warren purchased the DuPont Mansion property. After renovation, the Warrens opened the mansion as a bed and breakfast in the spring of 2001.
The DuPont Mansion was the site of the 2001 Bellarmine University Women’s Council Designer’s Show House. Fourteen well-known Louisville designers lovingly decorated and furnished the DuPont Mansion.
The following year, the Louisville Historic Preservation League awarded the prestigious 2002 Historic Preservation award to owners Gayle and Herb for the DuPont Mansion restoration.
Owners Gayle and Herb Warren have tastefully renovated the Bed & Breakfast and created an elegant setting for special events such as weddings, anniversaries, luncheons, and celebrations. Your out-of-town guests will find the rooms convenient and accommodating during their visit.
Gayle is an active community leader and former president of the Leadership Louisville Foundation. Herb is a retired GE attorney. Both are entrepreneurs and are active in restoration efforts.
Constructed circa 1879 by the Delaware DuPonts, the DuPont Mansion is representative of the Victorian Era Italianate-Renaissance Revival style found throughout the neighborhood known as the Old Louisville Historical District.
Old Louisville was developed shortly after the end of the Civil War in response to economic and population growth in the city and marked by the ever-increasing wealth of some citizens. A key factor was the installation of a streetcar system connecting the area with the financial and manufacturing centers near the Ohio River.
The DuPont brothers, Alfred Victor and Biederman, had come to Louisville in 1854. Here, they founded A.V. DuPont and Company, manufacturers and wholesale dealers in paper and gunpowder. Later they developed a number of other business interests and became two of Louisville’s leading citizens.